SDG2012 is Stakeholder Forum’s programme on Sustainable Development Governance (SDG) towards Rio+20. The programme includes our work as secretariat for the sustainable development network which is managed by the Climate and Sustainability Platform, ANPED and IUCN. Our programme and our work with the network seeks to make a contribution to one of the two main themes identified for Rio+20 – the institutional framework for sustainable development. The programme includes a number of elements:
As part of the SDG2012 programme Stakeholder Forum is writing and commissioning a series of think pieces on sustainable development governance. The think pieces will focus on a range of issues, including:
• The global institutional framework for sustainable development – including the role of the Commission for Sustainable Development, the management of sustainable development across the UN system, the status of sustainable development within ECOSOC, and other issues.
• Reform of International Environmental Governance – the role of UNEP in advancing the environmental pillar of sustainable development globally, the relationship between environment and trade,
• Global finance and sustainable development – the mainstreaming of sustainable development into International Finance Institutions (IFIs), the role of IFIs in advancing environmental objectives
• National, regional and local governance for sustainable development – the role of National Sustainable Development Councils, the role of local governance in advancing sustainable development
• Civil society – the role of civil society in the governance of sustainable development , in enhancing accountability, in monitoring and in implementing
• Corporate Accountability for sustainable development – the role of corporate accountability in advancing sustainable development, and the relative merits of voluntary methods vs regulation
• Compliance and Enforcement – the need for global mechanisms to better ensure compliance to global agreements relating to sustainable development
If you interested in writing on any of these themes, or have any articles or publications that you would like to share with Stakeholder Forum, please contact Farooq Ullah, Head of Policy and Advocacy, who is managing sdg2012.
Pocket Guide to Sustainable Development Governance Second Edition
TO DOWNLOAD THE GUIDE CLICK HERE.
ABOUT THIS GUIDE
This guide was jointly initiated by Stakeholder Forum and the Commonwealth Secretariat in response to the perceived ‘knowledge gap’ on the history and dynamics of global governance for sustainable development. A first edition was published in 2011 and this second editionwas updated in February 2012. As the ‘institutional framework for sustainable development’ has been identified as one of the two core themes for the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD 2012), it is hoped that this guide will provide necessary background information on global sustainable development governance to allow both governmental and non-governmental stakeholders to familiarise themselves with key issues more comprehensively.
Latest Think Pieces
Transforming the international Monetary System: A crucial “new and emerging challenge” for the Rio 2012 Earth Summit
By Frans Verhagen
To view all sdg2012 Think Pieces click here.